Recently we celebrated my son’s 5th birthday. He’s obsessed with cars right now, so we threw him a race car themed birthday party! I’ve pulled together some tips on how to create an elevated yet kid-friendly themed party.
DIY Race Car Themed Birthday Party
Create Your Color Scheme
- When thinking of a color scheme for this party, I didn’t want to do too many bright primary colors. Declan loves blue and red, so I decided to focus on black, white, muted shades of blue, and pops of red. I love anchoring decorations in neutrals and adding pops of brighter color with smaller decor pieces.
Custom Backdrop for Photos
- Every party needs a great photo backdrop. For Declan’s birthday, I was inspired by Modest Peach to create my own with wooden crates. Luckily, this is super easy and fun for kids to help with too. You can click here for the full video on how to make this.
- What you’ll need:
- Similar to the color scheme, I like to mix themed decor in with more elevated elements. We opted for beautiful powder blue cookies and cake pops from @sweetleemade and balloons from @starsabovebaloons. I decorated the backdrop with eucalyptus bunches to add greenery- this is a great alternative to flowers. Of course we had to add some race car touches.
- Car themed Happy Birthday banner and cutouts
- For food, we decided to get separate cuisines for the kids and the adults. D’s favorite food ever is Chick-Fil-A, so we got him a buffet fit for a king. The kids loved it- but I would suggest including another option for the adults. We got sandwiches, salad, and pasta for guests who were looking for a healthier alternative.
I hope these tips inspired you to throw a great themed party for your kids. Make sure to follow me on instagram @mommydiary for more behind the scenes content from all our family parties. You can also check out some other celebrations that I’ve created below:
- Backyard Garden Party
- Hip hop Themed 40th Birthday
- Girly Glam Sweet 16
- Dreamy Backyard Birthday Picnic