Hi guys! If you follow me on Instagram, you would know that I recently made a beautiful baby milestone collage for Baby D’s first birthday. It’s one of my favorite DIY projects to date and I’m surprised at how easy it was to make. It made a huge impact on the overall birthday decor and the best part is that I can use it for other events!
If you’re like me and can’t find the time to do monthly baby photos, this is a great alternative way to display your baby’s first year photos by mixing and matching various first year photos.
Things you need
- Empty frame (any size you’d like)
- Baby photos (I like 4×4 or 5×5 square prints)
- D rings for frames
- Wooden clips (2 inches+ )
- Screw driver
- frame wire (not pictured)
- Turn over the frame
2. Divide the frame into even sections depending on frame size.
*Note: The frame I used was 24 inches tall so I divided it into 3 sections because I wanted to hang three rows.
3. Mark where you want to screw on the D-rings.
*Mine was marked at every 8 inches because 8×3=24.
4. Screw on D-rings on each side using a screw driver.
5. Hang the frame wire across onto the D-rings. Make the wire as tight as possible.
As you can see, I purchased this beautiful gold frame for $8 at Michael’s clearance section. You can check Craigslist or your local craft store for great deals!
Tips for baby photo taking
- Clear out the background.
- Stick to a certain color palette. (Muted, pastel, colorful, light, etc)
- Stick to a few compositions. (On the blanket, close up on face, head + body shot, etc)
- Use accessories sparingly and make baby the focus of the photo
- Try to mix up the outfits
Tips for photo printing
I’ve used many photo printing services in my lifetime and one of my favorite service is Parabo Press. I especially love their square 4 x 4 and 5 x 5 prints due to its high quality print and texture.
The photos are printed on heavy duty card stock rather than glossy photo paper, which is perfect for a project like this.
Here is how it looked at the birthday party. It was a huge hit and everyone loved seeing his photos displayed this way. 🙂
What do you think? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!