Ep 13: Pet Loss and Grief For Parents
If you follow me on Instagram, you may know that my sweet dog, Bibi died unexpectedly a couple weeks ago. I’ve always wanted to do a podcast episode about pets, I just never knew it would be during these circumstances.
My father is a vet, so I’ve grown up around animals my entire life. I’ve been present for the birth and death of animals, but this experience has been different for me. Bibi was so important to me and my family, and I have had a difficult time accepting that she is gone. I know many feel that pet loss isn’t the same as losing a human, but to me Bibi was another one of my baby’s and so the heartbreak is just as strong.
In this episode, I’m sharing how I’ve been feeling since Bibi’s death. I’ve learned that people grieve differently, especially men and women. I am a very sensitive and empathic person, so it’s taking me a long time to come to terms with what’s happened. In this episode I also discuss:
- Why grieving is so difficult as a mom
- Explaining pet loss to your children
- The special role that pets play in our family
- What Bibi’s death has taught me
If you are grieving a loss of any kind, it is my hope that you’re giving yourself time and grace to work through it.
- Don’t forget to rate, review, and subscribe to the podcast here.
- Check out my previous episode on shifting our mindset about school at home.
- Join me on Instagram @mommydiary
- Enter my giveaway! Every month I’ll be giving away a $100 Amazon gift card! To enter, subscribe and write a review here. Screenshot your review and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More about Mommy Diary: The Podcast
Mommy Diary: The Podcast is a space for women to tell their raw and honest stories of motherhood. Host, Angela Kim, is a creative, lifestyle blogger, and mom of four.
Feeling restricted by the squares of IG, Angela is on a mission to shed light on vulnerable topics such as postpartum depression, marriage struggles, self-care, healing and finding a balance between having a career and raising children. She’s been through it all, and this podcast is here to help you feel supported along your personal journey and see that you’re not alone.
Cover photography © Miranda North