Summer is here and tomorrow is my kids’ last day of school! Do you guys have any vacation plans this summer? Maui is my family’s happy place and we’re trying to finalize details for our trip there next month. Maui, specifically Hana is one of our favorite places in the world with its lush greenery, beautiful & secluded beaches and authentic and local island vibe.
The only problem is that Hana is full of insects and the last time we were there, we were attacked by mosquitos all week which we were unprepared for.
Summertime is such a fun time for the whole family with vacations, outdoor adventures and trips to the beach. With so much excitement going on, it’s easy to forget how important it is to be prepared for the unexpected. Therefore, being ready with a first-aid kit and knowing how to treat and prevent is essential.
One of the easiest discrepancies to be prepared for is bug protection from mosquitos, fleas, and ticks. the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported illnesses from mosquitos, ticks, and fleas have tripled in the U.S. since 2004.
Here are some simple tips to stay on top of bug protection:
1. Do not use bug repellant on young infants
2. Only apply bug repellant to healthy skin and on the outside of clothes
3. Apply 15-20 minutes before going outdoors
If you are looking for more information on protecting your kids from unwanted crawlies, check out this article from healthychildren.org
1. Consider OTC allergy medicines that contain diphenhydramine, to find relief from the itch, as well as OTC hydrocortisone cream/ointment on bites that aren’t scratched open.
2. Use an emery board to soften your child’s nails to prevent excessive scratching when they’re asleep.
3. Cover up those intense bites with a bandage or clothing to deter your child from scratching.
Bug prevention and anti-itch remedies are just one part of putting together an effective first aid kit for the summer months. For more first aid essentials, check out this video, which highlights some of the most important elements to include in your summer kit:
With these important insect safety tips, you are now officially vacation ready! I hope you are making tons of summer memories with your loved ones and making every day count. Now tell me some of your summer vacation plans and what you’ll be including in your family’s first aid kit!
You can visit KnowYourOTCs for more valuable information about OTC medicine.
Did you find this post useful? If so, please pin the image below. It helps more parents find this article!